Wednesday, July 15, 2009

What I think about lawyers

What I think about lawyers…
I have all my life been under the assumption that lawyers are the protectors of citizens’ rights in the legal realm of our society. It was to my understanding that all lawyers were the same, and that law was as concrete as the ground that we walk on. I have been fooled. I have been led astray with this belief.
Prior to this year I had no actual experience with lawyers, nor had I been in the need of legal representation. With my recent arrest for D.U.I., I was in the need of legal assistance. I sought out a lawyer and had a most satisfying result. He treated me with understanding that my situation, with his legal representation, can be resolved with limited consequences. He was right.
The circumstances of my case were as followed:
· a Bac of 0.192
· failing to make a complete stop while attempting to make a right turn
· speeding at 45mph in a 35mph zone

My lawyer got my fines reduced from an excess of $3,000, down to $600. The BAC was high enough that an interlock breathalyzer was in order, but we beat that! I managed to get less than the minimum punishments for my conviction and keep my license for an addition 4 months letting my finish my spring quarter of school. Wow! That is all I can say, he even did this as about half price. I never asked why. It may have been possible that it was because I was referred to him from a friend. It may have been that he trusted that I would never make such a mistake again. I never asked, and I will more than likely never know how or why he did this.
I guess what I’m trying to say is that many people put down lawyers for the unethical and/or unmoral practices. I beg to differ, and looking back on my experience I would have to give full credit and my deepest gratitude to him. I believe lawyers are just as capable of doing great things as any other professional in any other field would strive for.

No comments:

Post a Comment