Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What I think of the legal system

The legal system is so complex, and so overwhelming that I it scares me. I am but a simple citizen trying to get ahead in this world. The legal system seems like a guideline of what not to do. So in turn I do my best to not break the law. However the fates have my path laid out I know that one day the legal system will come to bite me in the ass! Something I am doing my best to avoid. My business law class is preparing me for the obstacles in creating, running, and being prosperous in the business world.

I believe our legal system is structured very well. I think I will be able to use it effectively to my advantage when dealing with contracts and clients alike. My main cause for concern is the music that my company will be putting out. The problem is that I do not care what people say on a record, with respect to gruesome details about rape and murder. (Things just not meant for anyone to put to music) I am concerned with the topic of slander. Rappers and singers alike will intentionally make statements in their music that will include “thoughtless statements that reflect on another person’s good name and reputation.” (Essentials of Business Law, Liuzzo, pg.48)

With my still limited knowledge of the legal system I must try to rely on the simple fact that this is art. Plain and simple…or so I would like to hope for. With any luck I will be so super successful that I can pay my attorney to handle small torts with cash settlements. Maybe not, but I can dream! And with that being said I really do respect our legal system. It may bend under public scrutiny but I believe that it cannot be broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment